Probate is only the first step of the legal process that takes place after someone dies. When an attorney at TMLG represents an executor or trustee, whether it be a surviving spouse, a relative, a close friend, or a financial institution, we help to:
· Probate the will.
· Take control of the decedent's assets and administer those assets.
· File the appropriate federal and state level estate tax returns (if necessary).
· Document and assist in distributing assets as provided for in the will (or revocable living trust), whether it be to individuals, charities or trusts, such as a bypass trust, family trust, marital trust, or descendant's trust.
Trust Administration We represent individual and professional trustees to help them understand their duties and obligations in administering the trust. These duties and obligations include:
· Proper record-keeping.
· Communication with beneficiaries.
· Advice regarding necessary income and estate tax reporting.
Beneficiaries. We advise estate and trust beneficiaries regarding their legal rights and what it means to be a beneficiary, and help to protect their interests.
We have extensive experience advising individual and professional executors, trustees and beneficiaries with contested estates, actions to construe and/or reform estate planning documents containing improper or ambiguous terminology, and modifying estate planning documents to respond to changes in the law.
To learn more about how we might be able to help, contact us for a consultation today at: The Michael Law Group or by calling us at (312) 900 0150.